TESTING & NATIONAL CERTIFICATION
The USA Swimming National Officials Committee has developed a testing and certification program to ensure the consistency of top-level officiating at meets nationwide. For information on National Certification, please visit the National Certification page.
Please use the 2016 rulebook for all online tests
You can take the online officials test (certification and re-certification) for any of the following:
- Administrative Referee
- Administrative Official
- Stroke & Turn/Timer
- Timing Judge
- Open Water Judge
- Open Water Referee
If you have questions about which test you should take or if your certification has expired, contact your LSC Officials Chair. Click here to find that contact information.
Online Officials Test
In order to use this test site, you need to have a USA Swimming website user account. If you already have a website account on www.usaswimming.org, you will need to log in to that account to take your test(s). Use the sign in link in the upper right corner to log in.
NOTE: Please make sure the account you are using is not linked to your child's USA Swimming member record. If you had set up a deck pass account for your child's information, you will need to create a new separate account for yourself. You need to have your account linked to your USA Swimming member record.
If you don't already have a USA Swimming website account, create an account first ("sign in" upper right corner and follow steps to create an account) and then navigate back to this page to take your test(s).
Note that any test you start and do not complete by 4/15/2016 will be automatically deleted on 4/15/2016 in order to make updates to the tests to coincide with the 2016 Rulebook. COMPLETED tests will not be deleted, just incomplete ones.
You may wish to duplicate this tab in your browser or print these instructions so you can refer to them while taking the test.
- Once you are logged in to your USA Swimming website account, click on "Choose a Test to Start" below.
- Then you can choose the appropriate test(s) from the "Start an Online Test" section that appears.
- Select the test you wish to take from the "start test" dropdown menu.
- Confirm your understanding of the test expiration date by checking "I agree".
- Verify your personal contact information (enter all information requested so that we may contact you if needed) and click on "Save Information and Proceed to Test". Your LSC Official's Chair will receive email notification that you have passed the test, so please enter your LSC correctly.
- You can enter the clinic instructor info if you wish. It is not required.
- Click on "Start Test" (Ignore the "Print Blank Version of Test" button. You will have this option later).
- First test question appears. You can proceed to answer the questions at this point (answer the question and then click "next" or choose "Save and Restart Later" if you'd like to print out your test to complete offline and then enter your answers online later.
- If you wish to print out the test, select "Print Blank Test" from the "Prior Tests" box that appears.
After printing your test out, follow these steps to go back in and enter your answers:
- Navigate back to the "Start an Online Test" module.
- You will see the "Prior Tests" box.
- Choose the test you wish to enter answers for and Click "Resume" in the "Options" section. You will be taken back in to the test and you can enter your answers.
TO USE WITH THE TIMING JUDGE AND ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIAL TESTS