BACKGROUND CHECKING PROGRAM
In 2006, USA Swimming was among the first National Governing Bodies to implement a program requiring criminal background checks for coaches. At the 2010 Convention, the House of Delegates updated this requirement to include all non-athlete members.
The purpose of this background check is to determine an individual’s eligibility for membership in USA Swimming. Criminal background checking is not intended to serve as a pre-employment screening program. The background checking process is a criminal record search and is not a substitute for a club conducting appropriate pre-employment inquiries of applicants. Clubs should carefully check references and prior employers.
Completing a USA Swimming background check is an online process that starts on this page. Click on “Initiate a Background Check” to start. You will start the process on the USA Swimming website and subsequently be directed to the Sterling Infosystems website. On the USA-S site you will select the appropriate check:
- Coaches and Officials - Level 2,
- All Other Non-Athlete Members – Level 1
- Background Check Renewal - Same for all members
Once on the Sterling Infosystems site, you will provide the information requested and pay for the check. You will typically receive results in 3-5 business days. Print and save the last page as confirmation that you initiated a check. If you encounter a problem with the process, please contact Sterling Infosystems customer service at 800-853-3228 and select option 2.
Key Program Details
- Coaches and officials are required to complete a Level 2 Check; all other non-athlete members must complete a Level 1 check.
- The Level 2 check is $39; Level 1 is $19
- Anyone who has been associated with an address in certain New York counties may be subject to an additional fee for county criminal searches (see FAQ #10).
- The criteria used to evaluate background checks is presented in the Program Overview PDF
- Background checks must be renewed every 24 months
- AISS will perform checks based on four key identifiers - name, address history, date of birth and social security number.
- Protection of sensitive personal information is a key component of the program
- Members without a SSN may be required to take an international check (see (FAQ #13). Please contact email@example.com to request information regarding international checks.
- The program will provide members an opportunity to challenge incorrect information in the background check report before a membership decision is made.
See the Program Overview and FAQ Document for more information.
INITIATE A BACKGROUND CHECK
All non-athlete members a required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of membership. Click the button below if you:
- are an existing member and need to renew your background check; or
- are a new member and need to take a background check for the first time.
Regular Background Check
Anyone who has been living in the United States for the past 10 years or longer or who has a Social Security Number (SSN) or IRS-issued Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) should initiate the background check by clicking the button below.
International Background Check
Anyone living outside the United States for more than 13 consecutive months within the past 10 years and any first-time resident of the United States who does not have a SSN or ITIN should contact firstname.lastname@example.org
to receive instructions on how to complete a background check.