FOUNDATIONS OF COACHING
STOP! IF YOU ARE A NEW COACH THIS DOES NOT MEET THE NEW COACH EDUCATION REQUIREMENT. YOU MUST TAKE FOUNDATIONS OF COACHING 101.
Coaches registering in 2013 for their 2nd year of USA Swimming coach membership must complete the Foundations of Coaching DVD based test prior to registration.
Note: The test is based on the Updated 2011 Foundations of Coaching DVD and the 2013 USA Swimming Rules and Regulations. Because new rules go into effect on May 1 of each year, any tests that were incomplete on May 1, 2013 have now been deleted because they are outdated. If you have questions about a deleted test, please contact the Club Development Division.
Order the updated 2011 Foundations of Coaching DVD
The Foundations of Coaching DVD based test is taken from:
- The Foundations of Coaching DVD
- The downloadable documents accessible from The Foundations of Coaching DVD. Refer to the DVD insert for directions to access the documents.
- The USA Swimming Rules & Regulations
Note: The Foundations of Coaching DVD is available for $25.00 on the USA Swimming online store. The DVD and accompanying documents make a great start to a coaching library and it is highly recommended that a coach purchase the materials prior to taking the test. Every coach will automatically be sent a free copy of the USA Swimming Rules & Regulations, which should arrive within 3 months of your registration.
Upon passing the test, your LSC Registration Chair will automatically be notified. If you indicate when you start the test that you wish to receive ASCA Level One certification credit, American Swim Coaches Association (ASCA) will also automatically receive notification. The ASCA Level 1 Test IS NOT acceptable to complete the USA Swimming coach membership education requirement. The ASCA test DOES NOT include the USA Swimming Rules and Regulations questions.
The Foundations of Coaching exam is an open book test. Since it is open book, successful completion will requires a score of 160 correct answers out of 180 questions. If you do not score at least 160 correct answers, you must retake the ENTIRE test. You may take the test as many times as necessary until you achieve a passing score of 160. Note that you will get a different version of the test each time you retake it.
The DVD based test will be deactivated at the end of the 2013 registration year.
INSTRUCTIONS TO SIGN IN
- If you have never created an acccount on the USA Swimming website, click this link to create an account
- To "Sign In" (once you have created an account), click on "Sign In" found on the upper right-hand corner of every page on this website
- To start the test after you have completed "Sign In":
- the upper right-hand corner of every web page will now say "Logoff",
- you will be re-directed to the home page
- you must then come back to this page to actually start the test
If you have any questions please contact the Club Development Division or call USA Swimming at 719.866.4578