OPEN WATER SELECT CAMP
USA Swimming offers 24 of the country's best distance swimmers the opportunity for a unique motivational and educational experience. The National Open Water Camp is an intergral step for athletes to move from the pool to Open Water and then to the international scene.
Description and Purpose:
The 2015 National Open Water Camp is tentatively scheduled for June 2-6, 2015 at the Florida Gulf Coast University in Fort Myers, FL. USA Swimming seeks to identify the best distance swimmers, offering them a unique motivational and educational experience. The National Open Water Camp is viewed as an integral step for athletes to move from the pool to Open Water, then to the international scene.
8 male and 8 female athletes will be selected off of the top 2014 times in the Swims database in the 1500 meter freestyle. An additional 4 male and 4 female athletes will be selected off of the results of the 2014 5K National Open Water Championships.
- Only Long Course times are considered.
- Qualification timeframe: January 1, 2014 and December 31, 2014.
- Athlete must be registered with USA Swimming.
- All athletes must be US citizens.
- Athletes who have previously attended a National Open Water Select Camp or have been a member of any USA Swimming National Open Water Team are not eligible for Camp. Athletes can attend one National Open Water Select Camp. An athlete who turns down the opportunity would be eligible the following year if he/she still meets the criteria. An athlete who accepts the invitation and does not attend is not eligible the following year unless an alternate was able to attend in his/her place,
The camp location will be at the Florida Gulf Coast University in Fort Myers, FL. Open water training during the camp will be held on Miromar Lake and will be supplemented with pool workouts.
The 2015 camp dates are tentatively set for June 2-6th.This year's camp will focus on the skills & strategies with a training focus. Athletes will learn strategies, OW technique, nutrition and recovery for open water, and much, much more from elite Open Water coaches.
USA Swimming will select a the staff for each camp. At least one male and one female assistant must be on the staff. In addition, one National Open Water Team athlete will attend the camp and at least one member of the USA Swimming National Headquarters staff will attend to assist with educational sessions.
This year’s 2015 National Open Water Select Camp Staff is:
Head Coach: TBD
Assistant Coach: TBD
Assistant Coach: TBD
Head Manager: TBD
Assistant Manager: TBD
Elite Athlete Representative Female: TBD
Elite Athlete Representative Male: TBD
USOC Sports Dietician: TBD
National Team Doctor: TBD
USA Swimming Staff/Camp Director: MJ Truex
USA Swimming Staff/Camp Coordinator: Morgan Weinberg
The 2015 Camp will include pool workouts, open water lake sessions, in addition to educational sessions. Athletes and coaches are required to stay the entire time and must stay onsite in the accommodations provided by the host. Tentative itinerary coming soon.
For more information please email Camp Director, Mariejo (MJ) Truex here.