2012 Olympic Swimming TV broadcast details
Here are some details regarding the television broadcast of the swimming events of the 2012 Olympic Games:
- All finals will be on NBC between 8 p.m. and 12 midnight (ET and PT) or 7 p.m. and 11 p.m. (CT and MT).
- Almost all semifinals will be on NBC during this time period as well. The only semifinals that will be aired in “late night” on NBC (after the local news) will be the women’s 200 IM on July 30, the women’s 200 Fly and men’s 200 Breast on July 31, and the women’s 200 Breast on August 1.
- Preliminaries will be shown on NBC, as part of the afternoon show. For the most part, the fastest three heats will be shown in each event, though there are a few events that will only show two heats or one heat. All efforts are being made to show all the American swimmers’ heats.
- During all preliminary days, NBC Sports Network will be airing a handful of key heats live. These will be between 10:00 a.m. and 12 noon, London time. That would be 5 a.m. in New York, 3 a.m. Mountain time.
- On July 28 only, NBC will be airing live a handful of preliminary heats (Phelps 400 IM, Lochte 400 IM, Beisel 400 IM, Hansen 100 Breast, Shanteau 100 Breast, Kitajima 100 Breast and the women’s 4 x 100 Free Relay). These will begin being aired at 5:00 a.m. New York time.