Position: Development Manager
The USA Swimming Foundation serves as the philanthropic arm of USA Swimming. Established in 2004, the Foundation works to strengthen the sport by saving lives and building champions. Whether we're equipping our children with the life-saving skill of learn-to-swim, or providing financial support to our heroes on the U.S. National Team, the USA Swimming Foundation aims to provide the wonderful experience of swimming to kids at all levels across the country. The Foundation also serves as the home for our National and Olympic Team Alumni reunions and regional events. The development efforts of the USA Swimming Foundation aim to establish an endowment to strengthen the future of USA Swimming’s programs and services.
The Development Manager creates and implements an annual development plan with the Director of Development; ensures comprehensive and effective donor relations at all giving levels; plans and implements annual fundraising campaigns; creates well-written grants and proposals; manages social media and creates web content; and provides general fundraising support to keep the organization functioning at a high level of effectiveness. Position is located in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
• Manage the Foundation’s annual fund process, including the creation and production of direct mail appeals
• Research prospective corporate, foundation and other funders for grant application; identify potential sources of new income; manage calendar of grant proposal and report deadlines
• Work with colleagues to write grant/fundraising proposals and reports; ensure timely submissions to corporate, foundation and other funders
• Generate content for the Foundation’s website and e-newsletter
• Define and execute Foundation’s social media strategy; manage online communities on Foundation’s behalf using Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and other social media; provide relevant content to online community; track metrics, monitor relevant conversations, and report results to team
• Assist with the planning and coordination of the Foundation’s fundraising and donor recognition events
• Assist with coordination of in-house Development mailings, such as special invitations, stewardship letters, handwritten notes, etc.
• Manage the Foundation’s acknowledgment process and oversee the creation of all acknowledgment letters
• Additional responsibilities as needed
• Bachelor’s degree or relevant work experience
• Two to four years of progressive experience in fundraising/development
• Knowledge of grant writing process and writing applications
• Excellent written and communication skills; a command of grammar, spelling, punctuation and style
• Understands and can communicate the Foundation’s mission
• Working knowledge of Raisers Edge
• Computer literacy: Microsoft Suite; Internet research
• Strong research skills
• Excellent organization skills
• Ability to work under pressure/meet deadlines
• Fastidious attention to detail
• Ability to manage a number of projects simultaneously
• Efficient self-starter; takes initiative
• Able to accept supervision and direction as required
• Works effectively with all levels of staff; team player
• Polished, professional demeanor
• Swimming background a plus
Salary and Benefits
The Foundation offers a comprehensive package of benefits. Salary will be dependent on experience.
The USA Swimming Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume and one writing sample by Monday, January 7, 2013 to email@example.com, fax to 719.866.4761 or mail to:
USA Swimming Foundation
1 Olympic Plaza
Colorado Springs, CO 80909
No phone calls please.
First Posted December 5, 2012